Monday, September 26, 2011

Heavy Metal and Trees

I don't put rock bands above scat singing at times to make rhymes. Dana Carvey's "Chopping Broccoli" is a good case study in that. Therefore, I was surprised to learn that Mastodon's new single "Curl of the Burl" actually has validity as a saying.

I suppose I should know what a burl is, being in this position and all. However, "burl" is a seldom-used word, as "knot" is a far more familiar synonym. An atypical tree outgrowth, rounded in appearance is the best definition for "burl" I can find. So, I guess not all knots are burls, but all burls are knots.

It feels good to learn something new, but I am afraid it is a bit of trivia I may never have the pleasure to recite again. I guess "that's just the curl of the burl."

No comments:

Post a Comment